7 ways to practice self care this weekend
You know how it goes. You promise to yourself that this week you will take it easy, manage your stress levels, and practice yoga every morning. But then Friday comes along and once again you are burnt out and dreading Monday again.
Our bodies and minds do not cope well with prolonged stress. We are supposed to have downtime to recollect ourselves, reduce the cortisol (stress hormone) pulsing through our blood, and switch on the natural relaxation response. Ongoing, high stress levels can result physical and emotional health issues that you really want to avoid! So, take the opportunity of the weekend to hit the reset button and get some much needed self care.
Need some ideas?
7 ways to practice some more self care this weekend
- Set aside some time to read a new (or old favourite) book. Reading has been shown to actually reduces stress levels, and it can be a wonderful way to switch off and enter a new world (one that doesn’t have work deadlines!).Upgrade this: find a cosy spot to read outside and get some additional Vitamin D while reading.
- Have an at-home spa session. Grab some samples from Mecca, or dig out your face mask, exfoliant, and pedicure kit. Put on some soothing music and pamper!Upgrade this: if you have the funds, book yourself in to an actual spa. The best indulgence!
- Watch some videos that make you laugh. I always suggest bloopers from your favourite TV show, Carpool Karaoke, old SNL episodes. Laughter is a wonderful way to relieve stress, it is impossible to be stressed out while having a massive belly laugh!Upgrade this: take yourself out to a funny movie, and laugh out loud while scoffing popcorn.
- Go to your local flower market and grab a bright bunch of flowers to make you smile. The power of flowers! Personally, I think flowers can be such a wonderful way of treating yourself or someone else, the look and smell of a gorgeous bunch can brighten your day.Upgrade this: sign up to a flower subscription service, where you get a new set of blooms every week or month!
- Go for a walk somewhere you connect with nature. Perhaps along the beach, around a lake, in the bush lands. Focus on breathing in the fresh air and being totally in the moment, taking in the colours, smells, sounds, and sights around you. Experiencing nature + practicing mindfulness=perfection!Upgrade this: Organise a longer trip where you can connect with nature. Perhaps an all-day hike, or a long weekend away at the beach.
- Choose a recipe you have been wanting to try, and set aside the evening to cook (maybe with a glass of wine). Instead of your usual rushed meal, take some time to really take in the sensory experience of cooking.Upgrade this: Light some candles, put on some tunes, and make it a date night (with your partner or with your own fabulous company).
- Make yourself a big pot of coffee or tea and spend the morning in bed with a magazine, newspaper, or book. How often do you set aside the morning with no plans? Stop over-scheduling yourself on the weekend, and give yourself permission to spend the morning relaxing in bed.Upgrade this: How about making NO plans on the weekend and spend it working through this list?
Need some more help with you self care? Download your free guide to 50+ resources for self care below!